ADSHEAD: The nine windows in the middle of the east clerestory are in memory of Neil Adshead of Auchenfroe, 19, Aytoun Road, who died on August 23, 1900; his wife Lilias Russell Adshead who died on May 8, 1900; and Mary Ann Adshead who died on November 18, 1907. Neil Adshead was one of the original three trustees of Pollokshields Parish Church. He took a great interest in the Church of Scotland and was prominently identified with the erection of Maxwell, Kinning Park and Queen's Park churches as well as Pollokshields. He founded the firm of N. Adshead & Co., Stationers later expanding to include Printing, Bookbinding, and Lithography. He was born c. 1824 in Princes Street (which ran from Saltmarket to King Street) when it still consisted of the residences of many well-to-do citizens. One of his reminiscences was of the occasion when visitors arrived unexpectedly at his father's house late at night. To give them a treat and at the same time augment the menu, his father rose early next morning and in the burn that ran down what is now Mitchell Street to St. Enoch Square, caught sufficient trout for the family breakfast. Most Adsheads originate in NW Cheshire, but Neil came from a family of Jewellers in Liverpool. One of his sons James Brown Adshead was Company Secretary of the RBS in Edinburgh between the wars
AIRD: In 1912 Andrew Aird, a member of the kirk-session, presented the Pollokshields Parish Church Golf Challenge Cup and in 1913 gave three communion chalices in memory of his wife, for some time secretary of the Woman's Guild.
ARMSTRONG: The carved oak font was presented by Matthew Armstrong in memory of his wife. His was a typical rags to riches story but he never forgot his old friends, and memories of his own frugal boyhood made him especially kind and generous to needy children. With the minimum of education he become a half-timer in a rope works, at ten years old. He cottoned on to commerce so well that when he reached the age of 27 he started his own drapery business which grew into the wholesale emporium of Matthew Armstrong Ltd. He worked hard all his life, even as a nonagenarian still attending his office most days until his death on May 29, 1960, at the age of 94 years. He had been elected to the Town Council in 1920 and took particular interest in Child Welfare, Health and Housing. He held office as Councillor, Baillie, Magistrate, and had many other municipal and public appointments. A true pillar of the Kirk, he was an elder In Pollokshields Parish, well-known in the Presbytery of Glasgow and at the General Assembly. His recreations were bowling and golfing and of all hi' many achievements his finest moment, though costly, was at Gleneagles when he holed in one at the "Het Girdle".
BULLOCH: The carved oak communion table was presented in memory of John Bulloch and his sister Mary with whom be shared his home and who outlived him by more than ten years. The donors were their niece Jean and her husband William Thomson of 54, Sherbrooke Avenue.
John Bulloch died suddenly at his residence, Jeanieville, 23, Bruce Road on December 7, 1901. He was a marine underwriter with the Insurance Brokers, William Euing & Co. Dr. Niven conducted the funeral service at the house, where the cortege comprised the hearse and 14 carriages. He was held in such high esteem that about 70 gentlemen with whom he was connected in business, including the Chairman and Committee of Underwriters, attended the funeral and the Underwriters' Rooms were closed for two hours covering the time of the service, as a mark of respect.
CLIFFORD: Henry Edward Clifford, F.R.I.B.A. was at one time on the management committee of Pollokshields Parish Church. The alterations carried out in the church in 1899 and 1913 were in accordance with his plan and he was the architect for Titwood Church. He taught architectural subjects in the Glasgow School of Art for a period after he finished his training. He had his own business in St. Vincent Street for over thirty years during which time he became well known in the West of Scotland. Some of his buildings are very familiar to South-Siders, such as the villas 336/338, Albert Drive, c. 1902; 31, Dalziel Drive, c. 1903; tenements 44/84, Terregles Avenue extending to 733/745, Shields Road, 1895; 17/57, Fotheringay Road, c. 1903; the former Pollokshields Burgh Hail, 1895; Cathcart Old Church; and the extension to the Victoria Infirmary, c. 1912. He also designed churches in Troon where he resided for some years; Carntyne St. Michael Church, 1902; the former Glasgow School Board offices in Bath Street; and the Town Hall in Perth. Mr. Clifford's design won first place in a competition hold in connection with the planning of the Royal infirmary although it was not the one used for the building. He also took part in an open competition for plans in respect of the Usher Hail, Edinburgh. In this case he was not the successful candidate but he was the only Scottish architect to win a premium. He retired c. 1922 and died on October 14, 1932.
COGHILL: The first two windows from the south in the west wall were given in memory of John Coghill of Smallow Home, Aytoun Road, by his wife and son. Mr. Coghill carried on business as a Valuator, Builder and Contractor at 255, Shields Road.
DICKSON: The Harrison & Harrison organ with oak case was presented in memory of Christina M. Fletcher Dickson by her husband, George Dickson, of Craigard, 343, Albert Drive. He was with Hugh MacBean & Co., Tradeston Paint Mills, 54/56, Cook Street.
EDMISTON: The blue pulpit and lectern falls with matching bookmarks were gifted by the Misses Edmiston, of Gray Gables, 211, Nithsdale Road. The story of their father, Gray Edmiston, was very like that old favourite, Dick Whittington. A penniless lad from the country, he came to Glasgow to seek his fortune. Taking the first situation available he saved until he became a capitalist to the tune of thirty shillings. He invested in a little pastry business which repaid his hard work by prospering to the extent that by 1862 he was able to purchase the premises, at 145 Trongate, which he transformed into one of the most luxurious bars in Scotland.
He invested in property, at that time having his home at Pitcairn House, Shawlands, and was a member of Renfrew County Council until Shawlands was swallowed up by Glasgow. He transferred his civic activities to Presswork, became a member of that Town Council; served two terms as Provost; was a Justice of the Peace for Ayrshire; and a Freeman of the Burgh. He died at Gray Gables, his Pollokshields home, on December 2, 1933, survived by three sons and five daughters.
GEMMELL: Robert Gemmell was an elder of Pollokshields Parish and following his death the G. E. C. Hearing Aid, comprising two microphones and 26 hearing points, was installed under the, Robert Gemmell Bequest.
GILLESPIE: Alexander Gillespie, of 331, Albert Drive gifted the, choir, robes and the, wardrobe, in which to store 'horn, in memory of hi, parents, Alexander Greenhorne Gillespie and Agnes Gillespie. The, firm of A. Gillespie & Son carried on business as Property Agents, Valuators, How, Factor, and Insurance Agents at 116, Clyde, Street.
GLEN: The carved oak stall to seat three behind the communion table was presented by Captain Richard Bartlett Glen of Bonhard, 67, St. Andrew's Drive and of R. B. Glen & Co., Ship-owners, & Merchants, 5S, West Regent' Street.
GOLDSMID: The 4th, 5th & 6th window, from the north in the west clerestory are in memory of Dora Goldsmid, widow of Yeats Henry Goldsmid, and Anne O. Steuart, both of 31, Lexham Gardens, London - sisters of Mrs. Niven. Mrs. Goldsmid died in 1900.
GRIEVE: James Grim made himself responsible for a major share of the cost of altering and restoring the chancel and organ as a contribution to the Jubilee Renovation Scheme. He was a well-known and much respected antiquarian and archaeologist. He made several important discoveries of prehistoric sites and in recognition of his services he was made a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries in Scotland. He was always willing to share his knowledge with anyone interested and had wide experience in restoring fine old buildings too numerous to list here. He was an elder in Pollokshields Parish and died at his home, 54, Terregles Avenue on March 22, 1939.
HUTCHESON: Mr. & Mrs. John Hutcheson of Clyde Park, Aytoun Road, gave the two centre windows in the east wall. The north one is in memory of Mr. Hutcheson's father, John Hutcheson of Ruthven; the south one is a memorial to Mrs. Hutcheson's father, James Johnstone of Rothesay.
KELLY: The brass table-lectern was gifted by her family in memory of Mrs. Ann Davidson Kelly, 31, St. Andrew's Drive, who died on September 15, 1937. (The day on the lectern has been inscribed as ’13’ in error). Mrs. Kelly was the widow of John Davidson Kelly, M.A., one time Principal of Stanley House School, Bridge of Allan. The Family consisted of three sons and two daughters: the eldest son was an ordained assistant at Pollokshields Parish in 1929; the middle son graduated LL.B. and later became S.S.C.; the youngest son is Principal of St. Edmund Hall and Pro-Vice Chancellor of Oxford University, a Canon of Chichester Cathedral, with D.D. and many distinctions. The elder daughter graduated in medicine and was married in the church in 1928, shortly before her father’s death; the younger daughter graduated and made a career in Social Work, for which she holds the O.B.E.
KING: The first two windows at the south end of the east wall were gifted as a memorial to John Y. King of “Ravenswood” who died on February 20, 1899. He was a writer and notary public with Borland, King & Shaw.
LAIRD: William Laird gave the northmost two windows in the west wall. He was a partner in, and later became a director of, Bairds of Gartsherrie. He was especially interested in railways, ranking as one of the best types of “Railway Magnates” and was a promoter and director of the Glasgow and Bothwell Railway; the Glasgow & District Railway; Director of the Glasgow Subway Co. and of the Newport Railway; he was also a member of the Ayr Harbour Trust. He was knighted in 1897 and when the North British Railway Co. Board of Directors was reconstructed in 1899, Sir William was appointed Chairman following the resignation of the Marquis of Tweeddale. He was actively concerned in promoting education long before School Boards existed and was Treasurer of the Baird Trust. A staunch supporter of the Church of Scotland, he gave his time and money freely to further its cause and was also very liberal, in an unostentatious way, to worthy local schemes and private cases in need. His death on August 14, 1901 at the age of 71 years was felt deeply in the West of Scotland.
LANG: Hugh Lang, Jnr., of Doune House, 47, Aytoun Road, gifted the silver alms-dish in memory of his wife, Barbara. Mr. Lang died at Barassie on June 3, 1914, at which date he was the senior elder of Pollokshields Parish.
LOUDON: Mr. & Mrs. James Loudon, the Laurels, 361, Albert drive, presented the 3rd and 4th windows from the north in the west wall. One is from Mrs. Loudon in memory of her children; the other from Mr, Loudon is a memorial to his uncle, Hugh Loudon, of Loudon Bros., Engineers, Glasgow.
MacBEAN: Mr. & Mrs. MacBean presented a Challenge Cup to the 54th Company of the Boys’ Brigade. Mrs. MacBean gifted the two northmost windows in the east wall in memory of her husband, William MacBean, 5, Knowe Terrace, who died on January 20, 1880. He was connected with the firm of Hugh MacBean & Co., Tradeston Paint Mills, 54/56, Cook Street. These may be different MacBeans.
McLAREN: The 3rd and 4th windows from the north in the east wall were given in memory of Jessie Anderson McLaren, Kames House, 345, Albert Drive by her husband, Alexander, and their children. The first three windows from the south in the east clerestory were later presented as a memorial to the said Alexander McLaren, who had taken an active part in civic affairs. He was born in Bridgeton and succeeded his father as a wine merchant in the Candleriggs in 1850. In 1861 he became a member of the Barony Parochial Board on which he served for more than 20 years, holding office as Chairman latterly. He entered the Town Council in 1869; was River Bailie in 1886; and for a time was one of the Burgh Magistrates. He took part in several important Corporation Committees and was one of the officials presented to Queen Victoria in 1888. Mr. McLaren died in February 1902; and his wife in 1895.
McMORLAND: The 3rd & 4th windows from the south in the east wall were given by Janet Alexander McMorland of Cathkin Villa in memory of her husband James McMorland; her son James Alexander McMorland of 14, Walmer Crescent, Ibrox; her daughter Isabella R. McMorland; and her sister Jane Ritchie Alexander. Mrs. McMorland was a daughter of William Alexander, Goldsmith & Jeweller of Buchanan Street.
McONIE: It was in the drawing room of William McOnie’s home, Heath Bank, (43, St. Andrew’s Drive) that a small group of Pollokshields residents met on November 12, 1863 to discuss the problem of the lack of an established Church of Scotland in the area. Among those present were his younger brother, Andrew, and his friend William Wilson, all of whom were the founders of Maxwell Church. At this time William McOnie was a member of St. Enoch’s Church but he was to become one of the original three trustees of Pollokshields Parish. Although their father was a prosperous flesher in the Cowcaddens, Peter, William and Andrew McOnie were skilled engineers and established themselves in Scotland Street in the firms which were later to become Mirrlees, Watson & Co. Ltd., and McOnie, Harvey & Co. By 1867 William’s interest in public service brought him into the Town Council; 1870 saw him Depute-Bailie of the River and Firth of Clyde; he sat on the Bench as a Magistrate from 1879 to 1883; and he was Lord Provost for the term 1883-1886. When he first entered the Council the Loch Katrine water supply had been in operation for about 8 years but by the time he left the great extension of the work had been resolved. While he was in office as Lord Provost, power was obtained to raise Loch Katrine an additional 5 feet to 12 feet; to raise Loch Arklet; and take other far-sighted action for which all Glaswegians should be thankful today. One of his last acts as Provost was to preside over a public meeting to consider the propriety of holding an International Exhibition in Glasgow in 1888. It was when Queen Victoria came to Glasgow to visit this exhibition that she conferred a knighthood on him for his civic services. Sir William’s gifts to the church include the window in the west wall of the hall, the first baptismal font, the bell for the church, and the four-light traceried window in the chancel, which is a memorial to his brother Peter who died in 1850. Sir William died in 1894.
NELSON: John and Emma Nelson gave the brass eagle lectern in memory of their only daughter, Sophia King Nelson, who died at her home, The Ferns, Aytoun Road, on October 30, 1885, aged 13 years. John Ewing Nelson worked his way up from employee to manager; to partner; to sole proprietor of Willis, Nelson & Co., Warehousemen and Straw Hat Manufacturers, latterly of Queen Street. He was interested in city affairs, entering the Town Council in 1892. He was a member of the Incorporation of Skinners and the Incorporation of Maltmen, occupying the position of Deacon of the former three times; he was a member of the Merchants’ House and of the Grand Antiquity Society; a Director of the Blind Asylum; Manager of the Royal Infirmary; and Director of the Maternity Hospital. He was also a Justice of the Peace for Glasgow. He died at his home “Belmont” on July 28, 1911.
PAUL: Mr. & Mrs. Duncan Paul of 67, St. Andrew’s Drive gave the red falls for the pulpit and lectern, matching book-marks, and a white fall for the lectern in memory of the elder son, Robert Lamont Paul, lost with HMS Fidelity on December 31, 1942.
POLLOK: The 4th, 5th & 6th windows from the south in the west clerestory were gifted by his sisters in memory of Lt.-Col. Robert Pollok, M.D., F.F.P.S.G., who died suddenly at his home “Laurieston House”, on February 11, 1909 in his 55th year. Born in Tarbolton, he studied medicine at Glasgow University, graduating in 1876. He visited several leading medical schools on the continent before returning to Glasgow where for a time he was an assistant to Dr. James Morton, Surgeon to the Royal Infirmary and one of the prominent Professors in the Andersonian College where Dr. Pollok was for a time a Lecturer on Materia Medica. Later he set up practice on the South-Side and was actively interested in the movement which ultimately resulted in the erection of the Victoria Infirmary. He was on the Board of Directors of the ‘Victoria’ and later was a Physician to the Royal Samaritan Hospital. He contributed a lot to the founding and equipping of the Southern Medical Club and the Southern Medical Society recognised his services by electing him President; he also shared in the founding of the Obstetrical and Gynaecological Society. He was interested in the Volunteer movement and the ambulance work associated with it. In 1888 he joined the 3rd V.B.H.L.I as Surgeon-Lieutenant, attaining the rank of Surgeon-Captain 31/2 years later. He saw active service in the Cape and helped at Bloemfontein during the enteric epidemic in the Orange Free State. He advanced on Pretoria with Lord Roberts taking part in numerous engagements. Lt-Col. Poll had the South African Medal with 3 clasps and was gazetted an Honorary Captain in the army for his services. He elected to serve in the Territorial Army and was appointed to the command of the 4th Scottish Hospital, R.A.M.C. Despite the many demands on his time he managed to carry out his duties as an office-bearer in Pollokshields Parish. A service was held in the church preceding the Military Funeral which was attended by a great number of Officers and Men of the 7th H.L.I. and R.A.M.C.(T).
REID: the first three windows from the south in the west clerestory were presented in memory of Joseph Reid, 32, Newark drive, who died in 1909. Mr. Reid was connected with Reid Bros. (Glasgow) Ltd., Bothwell Street.
RICHMOND: the three windows in the middle of the west clerestory are a memorial to Sir David Richmond, Broompark, Albert Drive, Lord Provost of Glasgow, 1896-1899. He was elected to the town Council in 1879 and successively held almost every important office. He was a Bailie; Magistrate; Senior Magistrate; City Treasurer; justice of the Peace; Convenor of the Parliamentary Bills Committee; Deputy-Lieutenant of the County of Lanark and of Glasgow. He was the first Lord Provost of the reconstituted Town Council of “Greater Glasgow” and at the same time he was Deacon of the Incorporation of Hammermen, thus being entitled to wear two chains of office at the same time. So much happened during his provostship that only the bare outlines can be mentioned here. Parliamentary Powers were obtained for vast improvements to be carried out in the city, such as the expansion sewage plans, gas and electricity supplies and the like, involving an expenditure of about £3 millions. The Provan Gas-Works, the Electricity Power Stations at Port Dundas and Pollokshaws Road; the conversion of Tramways from haulage to electric traction; and the rebuilding of congested areas were some of the main items. The new buildings included the People’s Palace; Haghill Refuse Despatch Works; the Sanitary Offices in Cochrane Street; the Central fire Brigade Station, Public Baths and Wash-Houses. The Queen’s Park Police Station was completed; the duplicate aqueduct from Loch Katrine practically finished and Glasgow Bridge was opened. As City Treasurer, Mr. Richmond had been presented to Queen Victoria and in 1897 he was the recipient of the Diamond Jubilee Medal. He set up a fund for the reconstruction of Glasgow Royal Infirmary and this was to be the city’s memorial to celebrate the 60th anniversary of Her Majesty’s coronation. The fund stood at £86,000 when his term in the Chair expired. In 1897 the Duke and Duchess of York visited Glasgow to name the Prince’s Dock, place the last cope stone of Govan Dock, and lay the memorial stone of the Art Galleries. In the same year the Lord Provost opened Tollcross Park and in 1899 another one, named after him, Richmond Park. On January 1, 1899 he received a knighthood at the hand of Her Majesty. He died at his home “Broompark” on January 15, 1908.
STEUART: The 4th, 5th & 6th windows from the north in the west clerestory are in memory of Anne O. Steuart and Dora Goldsmid, daughters of the late Lt. General George MacKenzie Steuart, and sisters of Mrs. Niven. Miss Steuart died in 1901.
STEWART: George Stewart, 21, Aytoun Road, Principal of Skerry’s College gave the marble and alabaster pulpit as a memorial to his mother who died in 1913. His wife and family gave the green velvet pulpit fall with the Iona cross embroidered in gold thread and set with amethysts. In 1920 Mrs. Stewart gave the white silk pulpit fall on which the gold cross was designed from an ancient Celtic pattern, the endless line being the symbol of Eternity. George Stewart and George E. Skerry conducted a training centre to prepare candidates for examinations, mainly for entrance to the Civil Service, in quite a small way, in Edinburgh, in 1878. the centre became known as Skerry’s College and developed rapidly into important educational institutions in Liverpool and Newcastle as well as Edinburgh. There was great need for such a college in Glasgow and Mr. Stewart, a skilled organiser with the ability to adapt to changing times, established the Glasgow Branch so competently that the Headquarters were moved to this city. The whole field of Commercial Education was open to George Stewart who having already included preparation for University entrants inaugurated a new department to train pupils for professional preliminary examinations. A third department was added to give office training on a complete range of commercial subjects, and later, sections were provided to deal with secondary education to tutor pupils rapidly to Leaving Certificate and Matriculation standards. Mr. Stewart served for a period on the former Education Authority of Glasgow; he was a Justice of the Peace; a member of the Glasgow Art Club; The Haggis Club; The Sir Walter Scott Club; and an elder in Pollokshields Parish Church. He died in 1933.
WILSON: The purple pulpit and lectern falls and book-marks were presented by Miss Kareen Wilson in memory of her father, David Wilson of 16, Leslie Road who died in 1954; her mother; and her brother Ian who was lost at sea in 1941. David Wilson was an elder in Pollokshields Parish and was connected with the firm of Whitehall & Wilsons, Paisley.
WILSON: William Wilson, West Lodge, Maxwell Drive, was the third of the original trustees of Pollokshields Parish and was a well-known figure in the Town Council. He did not regard his business, Wilson and Matheson, Manufacturers, Merchants, and General Warehousemen, specialising in travel goods, as the be-all and end-all of his life; in fact, early in the 1870s two of his employees took over the retail side of the trade and set up on their own as Reid & Todd. William Wilson was noted for his philanthropy. He served on Govan Parochial Board for may years – finally as Chairman. In 1874 he entered the Town Council and two years later became a Magistrate; as a member of the Water Committee he also concerned himself with the future of the city’s water supply from Loch Katrine. He was the leading promoter of the Victoria Baths, was their first Chairman and held the appointment until his death. He was Convenor of the Libraries Committee and was largely responsible for building up the Mitchell Library, in particular the ‘Poets’ Corner’. He was Preceptor of Hutchesons’ Hospital, a staunch supporter of the St. Andrew’s Society and the Western Burns Club. On occasions he attended the Supreme Court in Edinburgh as the representative elder of the Corporation of Glasgow. He taught in Pollokshields Parish Sunday School and was ever ready and generous in his work at the Tradeston Mission. His gifts to the church include the bell for the hall before the church was built; the first communion plate, 6 tulip-shaped goblets and two lidded flagons; and the six-light traceried window in the front gable of the church. He died on April 1, 1892.